Ready for more big hits and big wicket celebrations? The Toyota Minor League Cricket Championship presented by SLING TV returns for round two this Saturday and Sunday, with no fewer than 27 games set to take place across 10 venues. The opening weekend action featured plenty of thrills in America’s first-ever national T20 tournament. And you can watch it all this weekend live (and free!) on YouTube! Here’s what you need to know:
First Time Hosts
There’s a hotbed for cricket in North Carolina based around the Triangle Cricket League, and it’ll be a treat to see the crowd come out to Church Street Park, one of the best grounds in the country, for the Morrisville Cardinals’ first home games of the season.
The Cardinals split their games on opening weekend, losing to the Stallions and then defeating the Philadelphians. Both Atlanta teams will visit Morrisville, with an evening match on Saturday against the Fire and a Sunday matinee versus the Param Veers.
Down in Florida, the Orlando Galaxy will also host for the first time this weekend. Sitting at 0-1 after a defeat to the Manhattan Yorkers on opening weekend, the Galaxy look to capitalize on home field advantage at the Silverstar Recreation Center with a pair of games on Saturday and Sunday against the Florida Beamers.
The Seattle Thunderbolts didn’t quite get the outcome they expected by starting their season with three straight losses at Morgan Hill in the Bay Area. They will hope hosting a doubleheader at home with the San Diego Surf Riders at the Khlahanie Park in Issaquah, WA will turn their fortunes around. Watch the Thunderbolts’ South African star Andries Gous look ahead to the weekend on the Minor League Cricket Show:
Will these batting stars of opening weekend continue their hot form in week two?
- Jamaican Jon Ross Campbell scored at a blistering pace to lead the Stallions to victory over the Morrisville Cardinals in their opening match. Unbeaten in their two games, the Stallions face a packed weekend with a trio of games against the Empire State Titans, New England Eagles and Manhattan Yorkers.
Jon Ross Campbell was an absolute powerhouse this weekend! Scoring 65 runs off only 39 balls for the New Jersey Stallions this past Saturday 💪 💪 💪 Plenty more chances to watch him with the bat this weekend!
📸 : Jessica Daffue pic.twitter.com/fp4b3LrCvm
— Minor League Cricket (@MiLCricket) August 6, 2021
- Jaskaran Moltra (Morrisville Cardinals) scored 79 off of 42 balls – will playing on home ground at Church Street Park see the USA National Team batter hit even hotter form this weekend?
Jaskaran Malhotra was named the "Man of the Match" when his team the Morrisville Cardinals played the Philadelphians. He dominated with the bat, scoring 79 off 42 balls! pic.twitter.com/E7fbzWWz3c
— Minor League Cricket (@MiLCricket) August 3, 2021
Bowling Us Over
- Top of the bowling charts this past weekend, Sarbjeet Sing Ladda will look to continue that form for the DC Hawks against The Philadelphians on Saturday and the free-scoring New Jersey Somerset Cavaliers on Sunday.
Who took a total of 8 wickets this weekend in just two matches?! Sarbjeet Singh Ladda of the DC Hawks did 🤯 Take a look at these match #2 stats against the New England Eagles during opening weekend of the #MinorLeagueCricket tournament!!! pic.twitter.com/mIrvJpxOQ5
— Minor League Cricket (@MiLCricket) August 2, 2021
All Round Success
- Houston Hurricanes and USA National Team player Usman Rafiq showed off both his fast-scoring batting and his handy off-spin on opening weekend, and will bring his all-round play to Prairie View Cricket Complex for a pair of games against the Michigan Cricket Stars and Chicago Blasters.
Usman Rafiq from the Houston Hurricanes took ✌️ wickets and scored 37*(22) against the Austin Athletics 💪 💪 💪 earning him "Man of the Match"! pic.twitter.com/KGklZp58p4
— Minor League Cricket (@MiLCricket) August 4, 2021
On The Line
Several unbeaten teams after week one will look to continue their streak through week two:
- The New Jersey Stallions did not lose a match in the opening weekend, but they’ll have to navigate a trio of tricky matches to maintain that record. On Saturday, the Stallions will face off against the Empire State Titans at 10 a.m. before playing the New England Eagles at 2:30 p.m. To end the weekend, they’ll face the Philadelphians on Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
- The Michigan Cricket Stars also remain unbeaten after opening weekend. They look to continue their win streak on the road this weekend with matches against the Houston Hurricanes on Saturday and the Austin Athletics on Sunday.
- Also undefeated: the Manhattan Yorkers, New England Eagles and Empire State Titans in the Atlantic Conference, and the Houston Hurricanes, East Bay Blazers, Golden State Grizzlies, Socal Lashings and Silicon Valley Strikers.
Did we mention you can watch it all this weekend live and free on YouTube?